On Friday, September 21, 2018, Skinner will present its fall Fine Photographs auction (3140B) in Boston beginning at 10 am (with Fine Prints). The selection of photographs on offer features a range of 20th-century and contemporary works by such masters as Ansel Adams, Lewis Baltz, Manuel Álvarez Bravo, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Nan Goldin, Kenneth Josephson, Daido Moriyama, and others.
The highlights include Ansel Adams's iconic winter scene Oak Tree, Snow Storm, Yosemite Valley, from 1948, printed c. 1963-1970 (lot 127, $8,000-12,000), and two classic works from the 1970s: Daido Moriyama's Stray Dog, Misawa, which the photographer has described as a kind of self-portrait (lot 144, $3,000-5,000), and Lewis Baltz's North Wall, Niguel Hardware, 26087 Getty Drive, Laguna Niguel (lot 145, $12,000-18,000) from the series The New Industrial Parks Near Irvine, California, in which Baltz explores the effects of 20th-century culture and suburban development on the country's topography.
The sale also features:
• A group of Paris interiors and street views by Eugène Atget (lots 110-114, estimate range $800-1,500).
• Eight works, both vintage and later prints, by Changing New York photographer Berenice Abbott (lots 115-122, estimate range $1,000-3,000).
• Retrato de lo Eterno, Manuel Álvarez Bravo's classic study of light and dark (lot 124, $3,000-5,000).
• Four photographs by Marc Riboud, including a later print of Le Peintre de la Tour Eiffel (lot 134, $2,000-3,000 and lots 148, 152, and 153, estimate range $1,000-2,500).
• A view of the Alloeng Kotjok Dance in the Temple, Village of Sayan, Bali, Indonesia by Henri Cartier-Bresson (lot 126, $2,500-3,500).
• Two nature abstractions by Brett Weston (lots 138-139, $1,000-1,500 each).
• Kenneth Josephson's playful, conceptual image New York State (lot 143, $2,000-3,000).
• Two Ernst Haas photographs from New York and on the road (lots 146-147, $3,000-5,000).
• Two works by Nan Goldin—Greer and Robert on the Bed, New York (lots 155, $8,000-12,000) and Dieter and Wolfgang at the O-Bar, West Berlin (lot 156, $3,000-5,000).
• A lot of two photographs by Mark Morrisroe, including a self-portrait with Goldin and artist Jack Pierson (lot 154, $2,000-3,000).
• An exquisite still life and two works from his Sacred Places project by Kenro Izu (lots 159-161, estimate range $800-3,000).
Additional photographers represented include: Diane Arbus, Robert Capa, Peter Gowland, Philippe Halsman, Joseph D. Jachna, Yousuf Karsh, Michael Kenna, Annie Leibovitz, O. Winston Link, Barbara Morgan, Matthew Rolston, Aaron Siskind, Lucas Samaras, Fred Stein, and Yoko Yamamoto.
The preview for the auction will take place at 63 Park Plaza, Boston, with viewing times as follows:
Wednesday, September 19: Noon-5pm
Thursday, September 20: Noon-8pm
For more information regarding the auction, please contact Michelle Lamunière, Fine Photographs Specialist, at 1-508-970-3264 or at email@example.com. The auction can also be viewed online at: https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/fine-photographs-3140b/. To order a printed catalogue, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 1-508-970-3240.